Fresh Basil and Dill Parmesan Chicken Salad with Avocado
Cooks in Serves Serves 6 to 8
- 6 Single Chicken Breasts- boneless and skinless
- Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 Cups Celery - finely chopped
- 2 tsp. Grainy -Style Mustard
- 1 Cup Regular Mayonnaise or Olive Oil Mayonnaise
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice - freshly squeezed
- 2/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese -finely grated
- 1 Tbsp. Celery Seed
- 1 tsp. Celery Salt
- 1/2 Avocado - pitted and sliced into small chunks
- 6 Fresh Basil Leaves - chiffonade (thin slices)
- 3 Fresh Dill Sprigs - lightly chopped
- Kosher Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper to taste
- Optional Garnish:
- Fresh Italian Parsley - finely chopped
- Pecan Pieces - lightly toasted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the chicken and pat dry. Place on a clean cutting board and cover with plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound the chicken breast out until around 1-inch thick.*
- Season the chicken with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and rub with the olive oil until very moist.
- Place the meat on a sheet pan and place in the oven. Roast for 15 to 18 minutes or until juices run clear when pierced with the tip of a sharp knife in the thickest part.
- Remove the meat from the oven and let cool slightly. Place the cooked chicken on a cutting board and cut into bite-size pieces.
- Place the chicken in a large mixing bowl, and add all the ingredients, except the avocado, basil and dill, and mix well. Season the salad with kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper and slowly fold in the avocado, basil and dill.
- The chicken salad should be chilled until ready to serve. To serve, arrange arugula or salad greens around the plate. Add the chicken salad in the center of the plate and garnish with Fresh dill, Fresh Italian Parsley and pecans (optional). Serve with a hearty bread or muffin. Also, sliced fruit would be a nice addition. Garnish with edible flowers, if available.
- *The purpose is to flatten the meat for more even cooking.