- 4 Lbs. Ripe Plum Tomatoes
- 3 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Sugar
- Leaves from 2 bunches Fresh Thyme
- 6 Cloves Garlic - grated on a Microplane
- 1 Cup Extra Olive Oil
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees.
- Slice the tomatoes in half lengthwise and place them in a large bowl. Add the salt, sugar, thyme, garlic, and oil and toss to coat well. Place cut side up on baking sheets, then bake slowly for 12 hours.
- (Putting the tomatoes in the oven right before you go to bed and removing them in the morning works well. Also, if you put the tomatoes in first thing in the morning, then they can be removed in the early evening.)
- Let cool and refrigerate for later use. If you pack them in sterile glass jars and cover completely with more extra-virgin oil, they can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 12 weeks.