The meatloaf is lovely served with Stuffed Red Potatoes with Basil Pesto and Balsamic Grilled Asparagus with Goat Cheese. Both recipes are in Laurie Bakke’s Cookbook, for sale on this website.
Part of the "Dinners to Go" line-up from the Cafe, this wonderful dish makes an excellent choice for a dinner party, family meal or for a great sandwich the next day.
This is wonderful served with Stuffed Red Potatoes with Basil Pesto and Balsamic Grilled Asparagus with Goat Cheese. Both recipes can be found in Laurie Bakke's Cookbook, for sale on this website.
- 1 lb.. Hot Italian Sausage - casings removed
- 1 lb. Ground Chuck
- 1 Medium Onion - finely chopped
- 3 Cloves Garlic - finely minced
- 1 1/4 C. Dry Bread Crumbs*
- 1 C. Fresh Italian Parsley - finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp. Fresh Oregano - finely chopped
- 2 Large Eggs - beaten
- 1/2 C. Tomato Sauce - fire roasted, if available
- 1/2 C. Red Wine
- 2 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil - high quality
- 2 tsp. Kosher Salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 2 C. Fresh Spinach - roughly chopped
- 4 oz. Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes - sliced and chopped *
- 1/2 C. Kalamata Olives - chopped
- 1 lb.. Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
- In a large bowl, combine the sausage, ground chuck, onion, garlic, bread crumbs. parsley, oregano, eggs, tomato sauce, wine, olive oil, salt and pepper. With hands, combine the mixture until blended. Do not over mix because this can cause the meatloaf to dry out.
- Spread the mixture into a 12x15-inch rectangle on a large sheet of waxed paper; making sure the mixture is smooth on the top and the edges rounded. Spread the spinach on the rectangle, leaving the edges uncovered. Top with the tomatoes and olives; layer 3/4 of the cheese over the filling.
- Roll the meatloaf to enclose the filling, using the waxed paper to begin the roll. Remove the waxed paper and press the edges to seal. Place the seam side down in a foil-lined baking pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until cooked through. Top with the remaining cheese. Bake just until the cheese melts.
- To serve, slice the meatloaf on the diagonal. Serve immediately The meatloaf can be refrigerated for another dinner, for sandwiches or frozen to use in the future.
* I prefer Panko-style breadcrumbs because of its course, yet light texture.
* Smoked Sun-Dried Tomatoes can be found in the tomato section or sometimes in the produce section.