This is a wonderful way to use Swiss Chard or other greens that are plentiful in the fall and winter months. I love adding the walnut oil, walnuts and goat cheese. It is a match made in heaven. This can be a meal in itself or served with grilled chicken or fish to round out to a wonderful meal.
- 1 1/4 Cups Walnuts - pieces
- 1/4 Cup Pine Nuts
- 3 Tbsp. Walnut Oil
- 3 Shallots - peeled and minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves - peeled and minced
- 2 Lbs. Swiss Chard or Kale - trimmed and tough stems discarded
- 1/2 Cup Roasted Red Pepper - small dice
- 3 Tbsp. Red-Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. Fresh Lemon Juice
- Kosher Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Lb. Dried Linguine
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Italian Parsley - coarsely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. Dried Oregano
- 4 oz. Goat Cheese - crumbled
- Parmesan Cheese - graded and sprinkled on top
- Place walnuts and pine nuts in a single layer in a large skillet. Toast over medium-heat, tossing a few times, for 3 to 5 minutes or until evenly browned. Set aside.
- Heat walnut oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook until shallots are soft, about 10 minutes. Add the chard, roasted red pepper, red-wine vinegar, and lemon juice and season with salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring, until chard has wilted about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water until al dente, about 10 minutes. Drain, reserving about 1/4 cup of the cooking water. Add the pasta, parsley and oregano and reserved cooking water to chard mixture. Stir in the goat cheese and walnuts. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately. Adjust any seasonings.