Chocolate Mint Brownies with Walnuts
Cooks in Serves Makes 24 Bars
- 4 Oz. Chocolate - unsweetened
- 5 Oz. Butter - unsalted
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 3 Eggs - large
- 1 1/4 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup A-P Flour - unbleached
- About 1/4 Cup Fresh Mint - minced
- 1/2 Cup Walnuts - pieces
- Laurie Note: I like using peppermint, but spearmint also works well. Chocolate chip ice cream or vanilla ice cream with a touch of creme de menthe added is a nice accompaniment to the brownies.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Generously butter and lightly flour a 9X13X2 inch baking pan.
- Melt the chocolate and the butter together in a heavy-bottomed pan over low heat. Stir and let cool a few minutes. Beat the mixture with a wooden spoon until blended. Stir in the sugar and mix well.
- Beat the eggs and the vanilla into the batter until well blended. Stir in the flour and salt until just mixed. Stir in the mint and pour the batter into the prepared pan, spreading it evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until a tester comes out clean. Cool in the pan on a rack, then cut into pieces and serve.