The brown sugar cookies are from my mother’s side of the family.
They were very Swedish and this recipe was passed down throughout the years. A family favorite!
Brown Sugar Cookies
Cooks in Serves Makes 30 -35 Cookies
- 1/2 lb. butter (2 sticks) softened
- 1 C. Dark brown Sugar
- 1 Egg - yolk only
- 1 tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 21/2 C. AP Flour - unbleached
- Candied Cherries - red or green cut in half
- Cream the butter and the sugar in a mixing bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, making sure the mixture is blended well. Add the egg yolk, vanilla and the flour to the mix. Make sure the dough comes together in a ball shape.
- Next, take a small amount of dough and roll in your hands to make a 1-inch ball and place on a cookie sheet. Then, take a fork and flatten out the ball one way and then the other way to make a crisscross pattern.
- Place 1/2 cherry in the center of the cookies.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Remove from the oven and move the cookies to parchment paper and allow to cool.