Laurie has a special tomato and cucumber salad recipe with fresh Basil and Dill from her garden for those chick-pea lovers!
Tomato and Cucumber Salad with Marinated Garbanzo Beans, Feta Cheese and Fresh Basil and Dill
Cooks in Serves Serves 8 to 10
- 2 Pints Cherry Tomatoes - halved
- 1 Large English Cucumber - quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/4 inch pieces
- 2 - 15 oz. Cans Garbanzo Beans (chickpeas) rinsed and drained well
- 4 Scallions - thinly sliced, using white and some green
- 1/4 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
- 3 Medium Garlic Cloves - minced
- 1 Tbsp. Hot Red Pepper Flakes - or to taste
- 1/2 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Cup Feta Cheese - crumbled
- 2 Tbsp. Basil Pesto
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil - lightly chopped
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Dill - lightly chopped
- Sea Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper - to taste
- Combine halved cherry tomatoes, cut cucumbers, drained garbanzo beans and scallions in a large bowl. Add the red-wine vinegar, garlic cloves, hot red pepper flakes and the olive oil and toss to combine.
- Next, add the feta cheese, pesto, fresh basil and dill. Toss gently to combine.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper. Cover in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. This will give the beans time to marinate and the flavors to come together. Remove from the refrigerator and check for additional seasoning needed. Serve in a large serving piece and garnish with fresh basil and dill.